When masks are widely used by people in public places, masks are most likely to reduce the spread of the COVID-19. In early July, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) could not publish a tutorial: A simple mask that can be made at home can help us prevent the COVID-19.
· Two 10”x6” rectangles of cotton fabric
· Two 6” pieces of elastic (or rubber bands, string, cloth strips, or hair ties)
· Needle and thread (or bobby pin)
· Sewing machine
1. Cut out two 10-by-6-inch rectangles of cotton fabric. Use tightly woven cotton, such as quilting fabric or cotton sheets. T-shirt fabric will work in a pinch. Stack the two rectangles; you will sew the mask as if it was a single piece of fabric.
2. Fold over the long sides ¼ inch and hem. Then fold the double layer of fabric over ½ inch along the short sides and stitch down.
3. Run a 6-inch length of 1/8-inch wide elastic through the wider hem on each side of the mask. These will be the ear loops. Use a large needle or a bobby pin to thread it through. Tie the ends tight.
Don’t have elastic? Use hair ties or elastic head bands. If you only have string, you can make the ties longer and tie the mask behind your head.
Gently pull on the elastic so that the knots are tucked inside the hem. Gather the sides of the mask on the elastic and adjust so the mask fits your face. Then securely stitch the elastic in place to keep it from slipping.
The US Centers for Disease Control （CDC）reminds that masks must ensure the following points:
· fits snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
· completely covers the nose and mouth
· is secured with ties or ear loops
· includes multiple layers of fabric
· allows for breathing without restriction
· can be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
If homemade masks are troublesome, you can also choose to buy finished masks. Among the many available brands, KIEYYUEL is a very good choice. Disposable masks, N95, FFP3 all have export qualifications, and the quality is guaranteed.
Contact Person: Miss. Jasmine